improving your academic skills
Although your classes do not officially start until September your learning experience doesn’t have to wait. In the list below, we have identified several opportunities to enhance your academic preparedness for first year studies.
- Innis Writing Centre Workshops: Every August, the Writing Centre hosts a series of workshops for new students. Online registration for these workshops and appointments opens in the summer. Look to the Innis Writing Centre website for a link to register.
- Academic Mini-courses: Also in August, the Academic Success Centre (ASC) hosts workshops “to introduce you to the expectations of first-year courses.” Online registration and further information is available on their website.
- Transition Advising for International Students: The Centre for International Experience (CIE) offers one-on-one appointments to international students to help facilitate your transition to life at U of T. Email one of their advisors to book an appointment during the summer.
- Preparatory Math Program (PUMP): From July to August, the Department of Mathematics offers a course for students looking to gain the high-school pre-requisites for first year math courses. It is also available to students wishing to generally improve their math skills in preparation for first year.
- This website features further opportunities that are available to all new students at U of T.
Note: The Innis Writing Centre, the ASC and the CIE are available to you throughout your time as a student at U of T. Check their websites periodically to see what opportunities you can take advantage of.
Once you have considered your options to improve your academic skills, you are almost ready to begin. Next you should consider the many opportunities to prepare for life outside of the classroom, which can be gained by Engaging in Student Life and Housing.