Financial Assistance

There is provision at the University of Toronto to provide funding to students to help alleviate financial stress and help avoid the possibility that a student would not be able to attend school at all.


It is expected that students have accessed into the usual resources available to them (or expected of them) before accessing special grants. For example, for domestic students, this includes government loans like OSAP.




University of Toronto financial aid programs fill the financial gap for full-time students who receive the maximum amount of government financial aid available, but whose funding doesn’t cover all university costs. To determine if you are eligible for UTAPS, review the eligibility criteria.


Students receiving OSAP do not need to apply for UTAPS — you will be automatically considered based on your OSAP application. Students receiving other provincial/territorial government financial aid, or First Nations band funding must submit an Out of Province UTAPS application by the published deadline.


Innis Grant

Innis College has a modest fund to help students in individual financial stress during a Fall/Winter Session. Domestic students can apply anywhere from early September to mid-March by using the U of T Grant Application, which can be found on ACORN.

This first step in this process is to complete the online application, then make an appointment with the Financial Aid Counselor at Innis College. Students not sure if they should apply are welcome to make an appointment with the Counselor before submitting an application. The Financial Aid Counselor will review your application. We will consider whether you accessed all available funds (e.g.,OSAP/governmental funding and family support) and if your expenses are reasonable.

We recommend that international students book an appointment with Joe first to discuss individual circumstances. A paper application can be provided to international students who find themselves in some sort of emergency situation.

There are no grants/bursaries at Innis for the Summer session. A student is expected to work and save in the summer unless they can afford summer school and still have money for the next Fall/Winter.


Other Grants or Awards

Keep an eye out for other grant programs that may exist at the University. Other divisions of the University (Accessibility Services, First Nations House, Centre for International Experience) may also have bursary programs tied to the services they offer or the students they serve to help defray costs. If you aren’t sure – ask! Here are a few places to look for possible grants and/or awards:

  1. U of T Scholarship Sorter
  2. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences
  3. Innis awards requiring an application
  4. Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students
  5. UTSU Bursaries & Financial Support
  6. Scholarships Canada (external site)


International Students

In obtaining a visa to study in Canada, international students are required to demonstrate and assure that they already have sufficient funds to meet the financial obligations of that study. This makes it challenging for international students to qualify for grants and/or awards that have financial need as a requirement. Additionally, some awards require Ontario residency and Canadian citizenship/permanent residency, which would also disqualify international students.

That said, if you are an international student and a sudden and unexpected financial crisis occurs while studying here (during the Fall-Winter Session), you can submit an application for an Innis grant, available from ACORN. This grant is available from September to late March. You will be required to set up an appointment with the Financial Aid Counsellor at Innis College to discuss your application.


Additionally, depending on the circumstances, you may be eligible to submit a special grant application to be considered by a committee at Enrolment Services. They do not give out many such bursaries but they can sometimes help in one-time-only scenarios where something unexpected has affected a student’s expected financial resources.

International students in some cases may be able to research any loans or educational funding available from the home country. For example, students from the United States may sometimes avail themselves of special federal loan programs if they qualify.